Resources for starting, sustaining a nonprofit news site
If you're looking to start a nonprofit news site, check out the Nonprofit Journalism Hub. VoiceofSanDiego.org and its partners put together the content for the site, which is a go-to spot for resources on how to start and sustain a nonprofit news site. Here are some resources to get you started:
- An editorial toolkit, which includes the VoiceofSanDiego.org's style guide and ethics and standards code.
- A list of engagement strategies, with tips on how to hire an engagement editor.
- Information about business planning and sustainability, with tips on how to connect with your community.
- Academic research on the growth of nonprofit news sites and whether they can save journalism.
- Related teaching tips for journalism educators.
In addition to these resources, the site is full of lessons that VoiceofSanDiego.org has learned since it launched in 2004. It's refreshing to see a news site be so transparent about the way it operates and the challenges it's faced.