Search begins for new head of NPR News
NPR has hired a search firm and named a search advisory group from various parts of NPR News to find Ellen Weiss's replacement. "I will make the final decision on a candidate, likely sometime later this spring," NPR CEO Vivian Schiller writes in a memo that's posted below.
Sent: Mon 1/31/2011 8:30 AM
Dear All –
We’re now poised to launch our search for the new head of NPR News. In order to find the best possible person, I’m putting a process in place that will be informed by a variety of perspectives – including those of our newsroom staff.
Here’s the plan:
• We’ve hired Spencer Stuart to recruit a broad and diverse mix of candidates. They are a terrific search firm and know us well. The lead Spencer Stuart recruiters will be here later this week to conduct informational interviews with news leadership, other news staff and executives outside the news division. Those will help inform their efforts.
• We are finalizing the job description. Once it’s done, we’ll post it to NPR.org. Thank you to everyone who has been offering input.
• I’ve formed a search advisory group (members listed below) from various parts of NPR News to advise and consult with me along the way. The members of this group have seen NPR News from almost every angle, and offer a mix of job experience, understanding of diverse platforms, and tenure at NPR.
• The search advisory group will review our initial slate of viable candidates and make recommendations.
• Once we’re down to just a few finalists, the search advisory group as well as some members of our executive committee will meet with the candidates and share their views with me.
• I will make the final decision on a candidate, likely sometime later this spring.
While the search advisory group will not be able to reveal the names of the candidates under consideration, I encourage you to talk with members of this group about what you value most in a news leader. And of course you can also come to me directly, as many of you have already done. Your input will assist these deliberations tremendously.
News SVP Search Advisory Group
Steve Inskeep, Senior Host, Morning Edition
Frank James, Blog Reporter
Bridget Kelley, Supervising Senior Producer, Weekend Edition
Joe Palca, Correspondent, Science Desk
Joel Sucherman, Program Director – ARGO/Digital
Sharahn Thomas, Deputy Director, News Operations
Keith Woods, Vice President, Diversity
President & CEO, NPR