Times-Picayune prints last daily edition
The New Orleans Times-Picayune printed its final daily edition Sunday, with several farewell columns to readers, including a goodbye to its longtime publisher (links below). The paper also announced modifications to its plan to publish only Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays by telling readers that it would introduce an "early" Sunday edition on Saturdays, starting Oct. 6. The paper also printed a special edition today about yesterday's Saints game. Events on Friday and Saturday honored Times-Picayune journalists for their service to the community (photos below).
- Thanks to departing publisher Ashton Phelps
- "I arrived in New Orleans on Halloween, 1994, and if someone had told me then what would happen next (and after that, and after that), I'm not sure I would have believed it."
- "Some are leaving in anger, and I don't begrudge them that. I prefer to focus on gratitude for a rewarding and meaningful career more so than sadness at the way it ended."
- "New Orleans readers will be feeling ... phantom anticipation in the days to come." (This cartoon shows what that looks like)
- "This is my last day as Outdoors Editor of The Times-Picayune. ... I'll see you in the marsh."
- Photos from the final daily press run
- Birmingham News sneaks a "-30-" into the paper's date
- Birmingham staffers depart
Corrections: The photo of John McCusker was taken on Friday night, not Saturday as this post originally stated. And the Webbs are reading the Saturday paper, not the Sunday paper, as this post originally stated.