Look for these 6 red flags before sharing social media
Social media can be rife with misinformation. Before you share a Facebook post or use other social media in your reporting, here are some red flags to watch out for:
- Too good or too horrible to be true
- Extremely precise/extremely broad
- Misspellings and bad grammar
- Audio doesn’t match video
- Unattributed research
- Designed to scare or anger
Taken from Fact-checking: How to Improve Your Skills in Accountability Journalism, a self-directed course by Alexios Mantzarlis and Jane Elizabeth at Poynter NewsU.
Have you missed a Coffee Break Course? Here's our complete lineup. Or follow along at #coffeebreakcourse.