Some guidelines to help you with copyright and fair use
Understanding copyright and fair use can help you avoid two things that are highly detrimental to publishing: costly litigation and self-censorship.
When you are considering using someone else's work, here are some questions to help you with next steps.
- Do you need permission? Is this work protected under copyright, or is it in the public domain?
- If the work is copyrighted, ask: Who owns this work? How are you going to get permission to use it?
- What rights do you need to have to use the work?
- Does it have some protection from Creative Commons?
- Does the original creator require attribution?
Have you missed a Coffee Break Course? Here's our complete lineup.