The Washington Post said it was “shameful” that the trial of its Tehran-based correspondent Jason Rezaian would be closed even to members of his family.
“The shameful acts of injustice continue without end in the treatment of Washington Post correspondent Jason Rezaian,” said Post Executive Editor Martin Baron in a statement about a trial set to begin Tuesday.
“Now we learn his trial will be closed to the world. And so it will be closed to the scrutiny it fully deserves”
Baron also noted that his reporter was placed in isolation, denied medical care for months, saw his case “assigned to a judge internationally notorious for human rights violations” and was given just 90 minutes for one meeting with a court-approved attorney.
In addition, even on the eve of trial, no formal set of charges and evidence had been presented to him. Read more