CNN’s decision to remove a story about how hormones affect women’s voting decisions raises questions about unpublishing — at CNN and on news sites in general. During a live chat, Poynter’s Kelly McBride talked about the incident and addressed these questions:
- Should CNN have unpublished the hormone story, and why?
- What are the ethical implications of unpublishing a story?
- What are some questions journalists can ask themselves before deciding whether to unpublish?
- What are some good alternatives to unpublishing?
- Is it ever OK to unpublish a story, and can you ever really “unring the bell”?
You can replay the chat here: