Four journalists held in Libya expected to be released soon

Associated Press
A Libyan government spokesman says four reporters detained since early April will be released Tuesday or Wednesday following an administrative hearing. The journalists are James Foley, who had been covering the conflict in Libya for GlobalPost; Claire Morgana Gillis, a freelance journalist who wrote for The Atlantic and USA Today; Manu Brabo, a Spanish journalist picked up with Foley and Gillis; and photojournalist Anton Hammerl, who has South African and Austrian citizenships.

Boston-based GlobalPost reports:

Foley, Gillis and Brabo have been held in Tripoli now for six weeks and have been allowed only minimal communication with anyone outside of the Libyan government. Their first visit by an intermediary came more than a month after they were first captured. That intermediary told GlobalPost at the time that all three appeared to be in good condition and being treated well. Sources told GlobalPost that the three journalists have been allowed another visit more recently.

The comments from Ibrahim are the strongest indication yet that their release might finally be imminent after more than a month of conflicting reports coming out of Tripoli. As the days have stretched into weeks, and the conflict grew more chaotic, so too have concerns for their well-being.

> April 19: US says it’s concerned for journalists held in Libya
> April 28: Rally for detained reporter, Medill grad Foley held in Evanston

Related Posts

No related posts.

We have made it easy to comment on posts, however we require civility and encourage full names to that end (first initial, last name is OK). Please read our guidelines here before commenting.