Photojournalist missing in Libya since early April was shot to death

New York Times | GlobalPost
The family of South African photojournalist Anton Hammerl was told he died after being shot on April 5. Two journalists who were released by the Libyan government on Wednesday — Clare Morgana Gillis and James Foley — broke the news to Hammerl’s wife that they had been with him when he apparently was shot in the stomach. Foley tells GlobalPost:

We knew collectively that if we spoke about Hammerl’s death while we were detained, then we would be in greater danger ourselves. But now that we’re free, it’s our moral imperative to tell the story of this great journalist and father.

The South African government says Libyan officials lied about Hammerl. “We kept getting reassured at the highest level that he was alive until his colleagues were released and shared the information yesterday),” says South Africa’s international relations minister. || Condolences are being posted on the Facebook “Free photographer Anton Hammerl” page.
> NYT Lens blog (May 19): Anton Hammerl is still missing in Libya

We have made it easy to comment on posts, however we require civility and encourage full names to that end (first initial, last name is OK). Please read our guidelines here before commenting.