Joe Pompeo reports that layoffs are under way Friday at the New York Daily News, which follows some other recent departures. Cutbacks announced this week include:
- A new emphasis on online news at Booth Newspapers in Michigan means some staff will be laid off.
- Media General replaced leaders at the Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and WFLA-TV and plans additional layoffs; the company hasn’t said how extensive the cuts will be.
- MediaNews’ Bay Area News Group cut 34 newsroom positions, mostly through layoffs.
- Consolidation at the Los Angeles Times is expected to result in 10-20 layoffs by the end of January.
- The Oregonian laid off 20 people involved in business operations.
Last week, Cox Media Group said it would move all copyediting to the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News and The Palm Beach Post. || Related: Landmark CEO says the company, which counts the News & Record in Greensboro, N.C., and The Virginian-Pilot among its holdings, may have to be broken up in order to find buyers (Charles Apple) | Earlier: Gannett layoffs are a leading indicator of a permanently shrinking newspaper business