AP Holiday Style Guide: Don’t call it ‘Xmas’
The Associated Press
Following its style guides for 9/11 and the World Series, the AP has compiled a Holiday Style guide. Some of the advice:
- Christmastime: One word.
- dreidel: Toy spinning top for Jewish celebrations.
- Jesus, Jesus Christ: Pronouns referring to him are lowercase, as is savior.
- Kriss Kringle: Not Kris. Derived from the German word, Christkindl, or baby Jesus.
- yule: Old English name for Christmas season; yuletide is also lowercase.
- Xmas: Don’t use this abbreviation for Christmas.