REST IN PEACE:
Jim Pollock, the managing editor of the Des Moines Business Record and a former reporter at the Des Moines Register, died April 19. He was 59. Colleagues remember him here.
• Michael Donohoe is now a product engineering director at Atlantic Media. He was previously at Real Networks.
• Debra Leithauser will be the new editor of McClatchy-Tribune Information Services. She edited the Weekend section and the Going Out Guide for the Washington Post.
• Andrew DeLong is now a program coordinator here at the Poynter Institute. He previously worked as an editorial assistant at the Tampa Bay Times. Welcome, Andrew! (Also, would you mind going by Andy?)
• Carrie Simison-Bitz is the new general manager of the Colorado Springs Independent. Fran Zankowski moves out of that job and will “just” be CEO. Concurrently, the paper’s Give! campaign announces the hire of two staffers: Mary Lou Makepeace and Laura Long.
• Tom Kennedy will be the new managing editor of digital news for “PBS Newshour.” He teaches at Syracuse University.
• The New York Times needs a new Ethicist: Ariel Kaminer is moving to the paper’s Metro desk, where she will write features.
• John Gogick is the new executive editor of The Augusta Chronicle, where he was news editor. He replaces Alan English, who has been named vice president of audience at the paper.
• The Contra Costa Times and the Denver Post announced they would “shift” and “consolidate” copy-editing positions, respectively.
• The Chicago Tribune announced it is partnering with Journatic, a Chicago news startup, which will operate its TribLocal network. There will be about jobs cut at the Tribune as a result. (Journatic’s Brian Timpone explained what his company does to me and to Mathew Ingram.)
Keep me in the loop: email@example.com