REST IN PEACE
• Five journalists are presumed dead in a jet crash in Indonesia: “Femi Adi, a reporter for Bloomberg Market; Dody Aviantara, a journalist for the monthly Angkasa magazine; Didik Nur Yusuf, who also worked for Angkasa magazine; Ismiyati Sunarto, a reporter for the national station Trans TV; and Aditya Sukardi, who worked for Trans TV.”
• From The Economist:
We are very sorry to announce that Peter David, our Washington bureau chief, Lexington columnist and former foreign editor, died in a car accident on Thursday night. He had worked at The Economist since 1984 and was a much-loved colleague and friend. We will pay fuller tribute to him in next week’s issue.
• Daniel Rapoport died April 11. A former journalist for UPI, National Journal, Congressional Quarterly and Washingtonian, he founded Farragut Publishing.
WELCOME TO THE WORLD
• Viola Nora Folkenflik was born to NPR’s Jesse Baker and David Folkenflik Wednesday.
• Cate Barron will be the new editor of The Patriot-News. She had been executive editor there. Barron replaces David Newhouse, who is moving to an editorial position with Advance Digital.
• Gilbert Bailón will be the new editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He had been editorial page editor there. He replaces Arnie Robbins, who’s stepping down.
• Andrew Julien will be the new editor of the Hartford Courant. He had been integrated media editor there. He replaces Naedine Hazell, who is “stepping down as Editor for personal reasons and will assume a to-be-determined role in the Hartford Courant newsroom.”
• Will Sullivan will be mobile products manager for the Broadcasting Board of Governors Office of Digital and Design Innovation. He had been director of mobile news for Lee Enterprises.
• Faiz Shakir will be director of new media and senior adviser for Rep. Nancy Pelosi. He had been the editor-in-chief of Think Progress.
• Alan Frank will retire as president-CEO of Post-Newsweek Stations at the end of 2012. Emily Barr, who is president and general manager of WLS, will succeed him.
• Susanne Reber is leaving NPR, where she had been deputy managing editor of investigations.
• Elahe Izadi is going to be a reporter at National Journal. She had been a blogger and correspondent for DCentric.
• Tommy Tomlinson has filed his last column for the Charlotte Observer. He’s taking a job “writing for a sports website being created out of a partnership between USA Today Sports Media Group and MLB Advanced Media.”
• Jason La Canfora will be the new Insider for CBS Sports Network. He is currently with the NFL Network.
• Greg Linch will be special projects and news applications producer for The Washington Post. He had been world/national security producer there.
• Hannah Fairfield will be senior graphics editor at The New York Times. She had been director of graphics at The Washington Post.
JOB CHANGES AT THE ATLANTIC
• James Bennet is the new editor-in-chief of The Atlantic.
• Scott Stossel is the new editor of The Atlantic magazine.
• Bob Cohn is now editor of Atlantic Digital.
• Kimberly Lau is the new vice president and general manager for Atlantic Digital.
• University of Michigan’s Knight-Wallace Fellows for 2012-2013
• Nieman Foundation’s 75th class of Nieman fellows
• The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships at Stanford
An attempt at a regular, in-no-way-comprehensive feature. Keep me in the loop: email@example.com