OC Weekly | Los Angeles Times
In a meeting with employees Monday to discuss buyouts, Orange County Register owner Aaron Kushner said, “Everyone says our strategy has failed. Perhaps they should be saying that our strategy has not succeeded?” Gustavo Arellano has a recording of the session.
About 50 people applied for the buyouts, “which would come with severance pay of as much as 20 weeks’ salary,” Stuart Pfeifer reports in the Los Angeles Times. That was more volunteers than Kushner was expecting, Arellano reported Monday. (He’s also got a list going of people he says are taking the buyouts.)
The Register’s ownership “expects to eliminate 20 to 100 jobs,” Ricardo Lopez and Stuart Pfeifer reported in the Los Angeles Times last week.
The Register is also requiring two-week furloughs from employees, Ricardo Lopez and Andrew Khouri reported last week, and it will fold its Long Beach coverage into its new Los Angeles edition. The Long Beach Press Telegram/Long Beach Register newspaper war is effectively over.