The National Press Club announced the winners of its 2014 National Press Club Journalism contest, Will Lester wrote Wednesday for the NPC. The President’s Award was given to the Associated Press’ Kathy Gannon and Anja Niedringhaus. Niedringhaus was killed while covering the lead up to elections in Afghanistan on April 4. Gannon was injured in the same attack. According to NPC, “the President’s Award is presented only on special occasions by the Club president with the approval of the Club’s Board of Governors.”
Other winners include:
– The Washington Post for breaking news, print
– Chicago Tribune’s Katherine Skiba for Washington regional reporting
– Michael Calderone of The Huffington Post for press criticism
– The Wall Street Journal’s “The Lobotomy Files” for online journalism
– The Atlantic’s Molly Ball for political analysis.
The NPC has a full list of the winners here.