On a 2010 trip to Johannesburg, I relaxed on South African Airlines and watched the movie “Invictus” starring Morgan Freeman. It was a great way to watch the portrayal of Nelson Mandela’s move to bond his nation by supporting South … Read more
The New York City Police Department has decided to "restrict journalists’ access to the forms detailing crime reports in every New York City precinct," Amanda Woods writes.
According to an 88th Precinct Community Affairs officer, this is happening because some precincts in the city allow journalists to access the forms, while others don’t. Reporters from citywide outlets have pushed the precincts that don’t offer the reports to do so. As a result, police authorities at One Police Plaza in Manhattan decided that all precincts will no longer grant journalists access to the forms."The NYPD's public information office, known as DCPI, typically disemminates only select major crimes such as murders, sexual assaults and grand larcenies, but often does not include lower level neighborhood crimes," Murray Weiss writes in DNAinfo. “DCPI is a small unit, so I don't know how they're going to handle it," an unnamed source tells Weiss.
Related: Whether to publish Newtown 911 tapes: A good question but not the best one
Readers visiting Google News on smartphones will see some changes starting today thanks to a redesign that includes better navigation, enhanced customization and more features from the desktop site.
Increasingly people are reading News “on the go” and using their smartphones to keep abreast of the latest happenings around the globe. Over the next few days Google News readers on Android and iOS devices will start to see a beautiful new version of the mobile web app that will provide an improved overall experience resulting in a kind of real time news desk for you on your phone.Users can view a dark or light theme, opt for larger, more detailed story cards, and access the weather and editor's picks features popular on the desktop site. (more...)
Rolling Stone will debut a new site devoted to country music next year, Michael Sebastian reported Thursday in AdAge. Rolling Stone Country won't produce a printed product regularly, Sebastian reported, but will open offices in Nashville with an editorial staff of 10 to 15.
Sebastian writes that "Rolling Stone Country comes as country music continues to boom as a business, with more than a quarter of U.S. adults now calling themselves country fans, according to Scarborough." Meanwhile, single copy sales for the magazine declined this year, while circulation increased slightly. Country music, a "sponsor-friendly genre," has done much better.
Last year, the industry hauled in $1 billion, fueled by a 4.2% increase in album sales, according to Nielsen SoundScan. At the same time, alternative and R&B album sales have declined. Sales of rock albums, the only other category to see an increase last year, inched up just 2%."I feel like it's the more the merrier," said Jim Ridley, editor of Nashillve Scene, the alt-weekly, in a phone interview with Poynter. "For many years, Nashville's felt severely undercovered by the national media." (Al Jazeera America opened a bureau in Nashville this past summer, promising to tell "underreported stories.")
And it signals a commitment to covering the industry, he said, that reporters aren't just dropping in, but are setting up shop in town.
"It's refreshing to see a national publication say this deserves more than just a stopover, this requires a bureau," he said. (more...)
Advance's New Jersey papers have some "channel conflict," (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger Publisher Richard Vezza tells his paper. So while Vezza stresses that Advance is not thinking about the changes it's implemented in other markets, like reducing print frequency or home-delivery days, he said "the company is looking at everything, from combining sales forces to how to organize its news operations," Ted Sherman reports.
This fall, Vezza said he would consider shutting down The Star-Ledger if it couldn't come to an accommodation with its unions. (more...)
Brian Stelter, the new host for CNN’s “Reliable Sources,” spoke with Mediabistro’s Gail Shister on what prompted him to leave for CNN after saying he wouldn’t and what he plans to cover in his new gig.
Under his stewardship, Stelter wants “Reliable Sources” to include a “wider swath of stories and broader range of guests. To me, Netflix is interesting, as well as the White House policy toward photographers.”
After Nelson Mandela's death, the people who covered his life are sharing their memories. And for some journalists, they weren't the huge moments.
In a video for The New York Times, six journalists share times they witnessed with the South African leader in a video. Ian Fisher, a former Nairobi Bureau Chief, saw Mandela in Tanzania when the leader was 81 and there to broker piece in Burundi. Fisher admits to feeling a little disappointed at the time. Mandela seemed tired, his answers weren't sharp. Then, Mandela went to speak to the men gathered who'd killed 200,000 people.
"The atmosphere suddenly changed to absolute electricity," Fisher said, and he watched Mandela scold those gathered like they were school children.
"That night I called my wife, my wife was pregnant, and I said, you know, I think I have a name for our child. It's Nelson, he's 12 now."
Fisher's son joins him and talks about learning about his namesake.
Although the first wave of internship and fellowship deadlines passed in November, numerous opportunities are still available for students, recent graduates and experienced full-time journalists. Get your applications in on time to take advantage of these opportunities in 2014:
- Investigative … Read more