Today’s shooting at the Los Angeles airport is another reminder that covering breaking news can be fraught with opportunities to get it wrong.
A fake tweet picked up by media outlets in the heat of the shooting coverage is an example.
Here is a list of resources for covering shootings and, once the rush is over, some training suggestions to consider that can help newsrooms develop the best practices for shooting stories and breaking news in general:
- Resources on covering guns from Poynter’s Al Tompkins
Specialized Reporting Institute course on covering gun violence with links to resources
- Trauma awareness: what every journalist needs to know
- Ethics and Credibility in Breaking News Online
- Getting it Right: Accuracy and Verification in the Digital Age
- Advanced Twitter for Journalists on how to tweet in real time
- How to create a breaking news plan
Poynter’s media ethicist Kelly McBride added the following tips:
- Stay away from anonymous sources.