| The Daily Free Press
| Boston Magazine
An anonymous Boston University student has written an xoJane piece
accusing the university's independent student newspaper, The Daily Free Press, of joking about rape.
The student says the Daily Free Press' crime log regularly makes light of sexual harassment, rape and assault "by prefacing the paragraph-long descriptions of the incidents with jokey, pun-ridden titles." She writes that she was sexually assaulted at Boston University her sophomore year and soon after "came across the horrifying, humiliating" way the paper depicted the incident in its crime log.
She provided some other examples, with commentary:
- A man tried to break into a female BU student’s on-campus dorm via her balcony. The classy title of this traumatizing incident that could have ended in theft/rape/kidnapping/murder? “Where for art thou, creepy dude?”
- A man was beaten to the ground and had his head stomped on until he was unconscious and bleeding. "Stomp the yard." I am sure the victim and his family are touched by this sweet, concerned commentary on his life-threatening injuries in the form of a Ne-Yo movie.
- A female BU student was pushed over on the street and held down to have her genitals photographed by a stranger. “Trashford." You know, a fun, in-joke pun, because it happened on Ashford Street which is inhabited by many BU students and therefore said to be fratty/trashy?! So funny! Like, seriously, give this writer a promotion! The victim will totally forget her trauma and feelings of dehumanization to congratulate you on your funny thing!
- A female BU student’s door to her dorm room was vandalized with racial slurs. “Haters gonna hate." Yes, I do hate you, you ignorant, thoughtless person whom I refuse to call a “writer.”
- A female BU student was domestically abused and choked by her boyfriend. “Choked up." (more...)