Bring Poynter to you
Poynter faculty teach in newsrooms, classrooms and conference rooms all over the world. Let us bring our expertise to your organization.
Since 2014, we have forged training partnerships with more than 20 major media and educational organizations including The Washington Post, USA TODAY Network, Google, AP, National Geographic and Univision. From training programs for your entire organization to individual coaching, we can create programs to focus on your specific training needs.
We work with your news organization to assess your training needs, then together we craft a flexible plan that meets the needs of your company or newsroom. We can train your journalists through online courses they take independently, through online group seminars that combine independent work with live online workshops, and through in-person seminars.
We offer custom training in these areas:
- Digital skills: Storytelling, workflow, SEO, audience engagement, effective use of analytics and effective social strategies.
- Writing, editing and storytelling skills: Customized training sessions to encourage fresh story ideas and formats, coach more effective writing and encourage editors to enhance the impact stories have on consumers.
- Leadership: An entire suite of leadership workshops tailored to the needs of your management staff. We have the ability to conduct 360-degree feedback and Myers-Briggs analysis. Our most in-demand workshops address building a healthy culture, building effective teams, change-leadership, and coaching and performance management.
- Broadcast journalism: Workshops that address the ever-changing skills needed by producers, reporters and broadcast leadership.
- Ethical decision-making: We work with newsrooms to develop policies and train staff in the critical-thinking skills needed to navigate conflicts of interest as well as personal and institutional biases. Rather than giving you a set of rules, we help you employ a process for tapping into your core values and making healthy decisions around the thorny issues that crop up constantly in daily journalism.
- Workplace harassment: This newsroom-specific program is intended to create respectful workplaces free from the sexual harassment and incivility associated with abuses of power. Each session is taught through lectures, discussions, case studies and activities.
Workshops at your location
Workshops at your site typically run for a day or two. They are ideal for training groups or departments, small or large. The training can also include one-on-one coaching sessions. Poynter faculty are skilled facilitators, offering craft skills and leadership strategies you can use to motivate and inspire news staff or students to deliver top-quality work — even in today’s challenging environment. As part of the training, we can also come to you virtually.
Through Poynter e-learning, we can develop online programs — either in real time or self-directed — focusing on specific training needs. These programs stretch training dollars and allow staffers to work on an independent schedule.
Please complete the form below and we will contact you.