Write Your Heart Out: The Craft of the Personal Essay (January 2019)
Jan. 25 to Feb. 22, 2019
Live Video Sessions*
12:00 noon – 1:00 p.m. Eastern
Monday, Jan. 28
Monday, Feb. 4
Monday, Feb. 11
Friday, Feb. 22
*If you’re unable to attend a live session, there will be a recording available.
Discover powerful stories from your life and tell them in ways that will resonate with others, whether in print or online. You’ll see how to take those experiences from an idea to an essay that an editor wants to publish and the public wants to read.
What will I learn
- To cultivate quality story ideas from your life experiences by studying universal story archetypes
- To shed the shackles of storytelling conventions and insecurity
- To break down personal essays to their DNA so you can quickly start telling your stories
- To use the essential tools of effective writing
- To recognize the types of personal stories editors want to publish
Who should take this course
Writers, columnists, educators, public speakers — anyone with a personal story to tell.
Keith Woods is vice president of newsroom training & diversity at NPR in Washington, D.C. He previously was dean of faculty at The Poynter Institute and a former sportswriter, news reporter, city editor, editorial writer and columnist at the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
About online group seminars
In an online group seminar, you will gather with other participants in a virtual space, logging in from anywhere, day or night, over the course of several weeks. A faculty member guides the group through new material, moderates discussions and provides individual feedback.
The content of this course unfolds over several weeks. There are few scheduled live meeting times. Except for several live discussions, you’ll be able to learn on a schedule that works for you. The minimum time commitment each week is three to four hours.
We’d love to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com.
Lessons Sample lesson
- Mining Your Life for Ideas
- The Writing Process
- Where Are Your Stories?
- Examples of Personal Essays
- Big Red
- Five Years Later: A Letter To New Orleans
- Going Home
- Lost and found in the waning hours of a Spanish night
- One Husband, Two Kids, Three Deployments
- Pilgrimage Against Prejudice -- An African-American Father Leads His Children On A Southern Odyssey, A Road Trip To History, Heritage And Heroes
- The Balance of Falling
- The Little Girl
- The Starling
- Two Clocks
- When putting a dog to sleep, it's hard to say goodbye
- My Essay: Moment