Ethics and leadership in the newsroom
Let Poynter help you strengthen ethics and leadership in your newsroom.
Through the work of the Craig Newmark Center for Ethics and Leadership, Poynter provides custom advice and training to newsrooms on stories and policies. Led by Poynter’s Kelly McBride, senior vice president and ethics chair, the Center helps leaders navigate thorny issues amid a challenging news environment, communicate a clear vision across the organization and steer their newsrooms through transformation.
Poynter’s guidelines for ethical newsroom decision-making serve as the foundation for policies used by many newsrooms and organizations. We’re also known for our trademark leadership academies, weeklong seminars that emphasize introspection, strategies for managing people and network-building. Additionally, our leadership portfolio includes the Local News Innovation Program, the Media Innovation Tour, executive development programs for publishers through partnerships with SNPA and MPA, and custom leadership training in newsrooms such as Marketplace and The Washington Post.
We can help you:
- Navigate ethical decisions
- Manage through crisis
- Lead a remote workforce
- Care for the mental and emotional health of your team
- Have difficult, but effective, conversations
- Understand your communication style and appreciate the styles of others
- Bring out the best in your team
- Build trust within your team
- Set priorities and communicate your vision
- Establish new policies