Race and Equity in the Newsroom
As newsrooms commit to become more inclusive and diverse, there’s never been a more urgent time to turn to Poynter for training and guidance.
Newsrooms have long struggled to reflect the communities they serve. There are not enough reporters and leaders of color — specifically Black journalists — to sensitively and meaningfully cover the rich diversity of experience in the U.S. Awareness of this challenge is not the same as sufficient action.
Journalism must be a relevant tool of democracy — an arbiter of truth, transparency and fairness. It won’t be so if it is not diverse and inclusive.
It is time to ensure that the values of your newsroom match the values of your journalism.
Your audience is demanding that you evolve quickly. The Poynter team can help turn this momentum into positive change in your newsroom.
Poynter director of training and diversity Doris Truong and leadership faculty member Samantha Ragland will work with you to assess your organization’s needs, then craft a flexible plan with tangible actions and ways to track your growth.
There are multiple sessions available, depending on how much work your organization has already done on this topic.
Level 1: Foundations of change
For any organization grappling with race and representation, we suggest starting with training that includes one or more of the following sessions:
- Assessing implicit bias and privilege
- Ensuring diversity of perspectives in news meetings and news coverage
- Initiating difficult, but effective, conversations
- Receiving feedback with an open mind
- Building staff resilience
Level 2: Leading the change
After organizations identify areas to improve diversity and inclusion, leaders must enact change effectively. We suggest add-on training that will move your organization forward, such as:
- Caring for the mental and emotional health of your team
- Navigating ethical decisions
- Managing through crisis
- Leading a remote workforce
- Assessing personal leadership styles, with additional questions about valuing and seeking out diverse perspectives
- Understanding styles of conflict and the ways to resolution
- Creating best practices around hiring, retention and promotion
- Eliminating power structures that lead to harassment
Let Poynter help you address race and create equity in your newsroom. With real investment, a more representative, respectful and trustworthy news organization will follow.