July 14, 2021

An image of what looks like a screenshot of a CNN news story is being shared on social media with this headline: “Haiti President Jovenel Moïse assassinated in attack on his residence. U.S Troops on their way.”

The image makes it look like the story was updated at 3:41 p.m. EDT on July 7.

The text below an image of Moïse and an image of what appear to be members of the U.S. Air Force goes on to say that “President Joe Biden has authorized this afternoon a U.S. intervention in Haiti after the assassination of president Jovenel Moïse who was gunned down last night at his residence. … The commanding officer of all U.S. forces, General Micheal X Garrett, confirmed that an initial force of 10.000 US soldiers will be sent.”

A post sharing this screenshot was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Facebook.)

We searched CNN’s website for the headline in the screenshot and didn’t find it, but there are more clues that this image doesn’t show an authentic CNN story.

First, the font CNN uses for its headlines is different than what appears in the Facebook post. You can see an example in another story CNN published about the assassination on July 8 with no mention of Biden dispatching U.S. troops to Haiti.

Second, CNN articles have bylines and there are none in the Facebook post.

Third, the style of the time and date the story was published or updated is different in the post than in other CNN stories.

Fourth, the story text in the post is in a different font than other CNN articles and fifth, the text in the post has typos and errors. Gen. Michael X. Garrett — not Micheal, as the post says — is the commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command.

After Moïse was assassinated on July 7, Biden issued a statement condemning the “heinous attack” and said that the “United States offers condolences to the people of Haiti and we stand ready to assist as we continue to work for a safe and secure Haiti.”

He did not say he was sending 10,000 troops there.

In the days since this fake CNN headline was published, Haiti has asked for U.S. troops to help stabilize the country in the wake of the killing. In a story updated on July 13, the New York Times reported that officials in the Biden administration have thus far “expressed caution about any deployment to Haiti.”

We rate this Facebook post False.

This article was originally published by PolitiFact, which is part of the Poynter Institute. It is republished here with permission. See the sources for these fact checks here and more of their fact checks here.

Support high-integrity, independent journalism that serves democracy. Make a gift to Poynter today. The Poynter Institute is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, and your gift helps us make good journalism better.
Donate
Tags: , ,
Ciara O'Rourke is a contributing writer for PolitiFact. Previously, Ciara covered local government and public safety for the Austin American-Statesman and fact-checked elected officials and…
More by Ciara O'Rourke

More News

Back to News