The New York Times reports that around 36,000 workers at news companies in the U.S. have been laid off, furloughed or had their pay reduced during the pandemic. More than 50 local newsrooms across America have closed.
If you’re impacted by these losses and considering freelancing (either for the first time or full-time), this resource list will help you explore the career move, develop the skills you need and form connections with other independents in media.
Got something to add to this list? Email Mel Grau at email@example.com.
Training and events
Upcoming live sessions:
- Aug. 25 — #ICTalks: A Conversation With President and Executive Director of the Freelancers Union, Rafael Espinal, webinar from Society of Professional Journalists
- Sept. 1 — Survive and Thrive in Freelance and Remote Work, four-hour self-directed course from Poynter
- Sept. 25-Nov. 6 — Building a Scalable Personal Brand, four-part live online group seminar from Poynter
- COVID-19 Crisis: Economic Relief for Freelance Journalists (Society of Professional Journalists)
- Freelance Breaking News: Promises and Pitfalls (Society of Professional Journalists)
- COVID-19’s Effects On Freelancing — and its Future (International Center for Journalists)
- Freelancing during COVID-19: Tips from AHCJ members (Association of Health Care Journalists)
- Job-Hunting During a Pandemic (Poynter)
Recent articles from Poynter
- Freelancing is more than a pitch. It’s a business. By Molly McCluskey.
- Working as a freelance journalist right now is hard but not impossible. Here’s some advice. By Meena Thiruvengadam.
- Thinking about making the jump to freelance? Here’s what you need to know. By Elite Truong.
- Go into freelancing armed with the resources you need to succeed. By Jen A. Miller.
- Q&A: How do I change up my career path right now? By Mandy Hofmockel.
- Study Hall by Allegra Hobbs
- Opportunities of the Week by Sonia Weiser
- Funds for Writers
- One More Question by Britany Robinson
- The Freelance Beat by Tatiana Walk-Morris
- The Cohort from Poynter
- Freelancing with Tim: Weekly Zoom panels with editors and writers, plus a newsletter
- Freelance Reporting Resources, by Taylor Moore
- Who Pays Writers? And corresponding Twitter account.
- Where to Pitch, sortable database of publications’ pitching guidelines and monthly newsletter by Susan Shain
- Successful Pitches database
- State-by-state financial aid guide for freelancers
- The Freelancer’s Year by Lindy Alexander
- Binders Full of Writing Jobs Facebook group
- Society of Freelance Journalists on Slack
- Society of Professional Journalists Freelance Community
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- Rachel’s List, a resource hub for Australian freelancers
- Diana Kelly Levey, a freelance writing blog