The Poynter Institute is pleased to announce that it is dropping tuition for all News University webinars and self-directed courses.
As a service to the journalism education community in this challenging period, Poynter is offering its online catalog free for a limited time to help educators and students affected by COVID-19 (coronavirus).
Schools rely on Poynter and News University for online instruction in journalism, advertising, public relations and other communications classes because of the high-quality, easy-to-use and engaging format.
Below are a few of News University’s most popular classes, which now are being offered for free. (Click here for a complete list of classes that are free for a limited time.)
Poynter Primers — great for your introductory courses
Consider adopting all three primers in the set or pick those that best fit your needs.
- The Language Primer: Basics of Grammar, Punctuation and Word Use
- Math and Numeracy Primer: How to Write About Numbers
- News Literacy Primer: How to Evaluate Information
More advanced courses
From news editing to public relations, News University is ready with upper-division course resources.
- Broadcast Writing: Write Like You Talk
- Getting It Right: Accuracy and Verification in the Digital Age
- A Reporter’s Guide to Getting It Right
- Target and Engage Your Audience: Digital Experiences That Drive Results
- Audience Analytics for Reporters
- The Power of Public Records
Enroll in self-directed courses and webinars for free through May 31, 2020.
- Register for a poynter.org account.
- Use coupon code 20COLLEGE100 at checkout.
- Visit My Courses to start learning or pick up where you left off.
The Poynter Institute can also connect schools and educators with journalism experts who can provide supplemental training online. If you are interested in learning more, please fill out this form.
Need help? Don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
How to register for News University
- You must register for a free account: www.poynter.org/register. (If you haven’t logged in since Dec. 31, 2018, please refer to our FAQ.)
- Log into your account. When you are ready to purchase a course, click on the Add to cart or Buy Now button.
- A yellow bar indicates the item successfully added to your cart. If you would like to enroll in additional programs, click Continue Shopping.
Otherwise, enter your coupon code and hit the Apply button for it to take effect. You must enter your Billing details before finalizing your order.
To use the Coupon Code, enter the code 20COLLEGE100 in the space for Coupon Code and hit the Apply button for the discount to take effect. (Please note: The discount does not apply to online group seminars or certificate programs.)
- After enrollment, to find the list of your courses, hover on your username at the top right corner for the dropdown box. Click on My Courses.
If you have any questions or require customer service, please email