MPA/Poynter: Executive Development Program 2019
DEADLINE: Monday, Nov. 4, 2019
TEACHING DATE: Dec. 3 – 4, 2019
LOCATION: New York, New York (Location TBD)
COST: Free for accepted applicants
The Poynter Institute and MPA – The Association of Magazine Media are teaming up to provide aspiring publishers with a unique opportunity to accelerate their careers.
MPA leaders can now nominate applicants for the first Poynter/MPA Executive Development Program, which includes a two-day career accelerator in New York. This program is intended to grow the capacity of the next generation of local magazine leaders, focusing on how to lead through change, grow revenue and manage conflict.
The Poynter Institute
The Poynter Institute
The program includes two days of intense training, conversation and deliberation.
Accepted applicants will leave the in-person workshop with new leadership skills, revenue ideas and change management skills.
What you’ll learn
- Insight into the characteristics of effective leaders
- How you can lead with values, discipline and intention
- How your direct reports, peers and bosses view your strengths and weaknesses
- Tips for priority setting
- How to develop creative partnerships, enterprises and best practices
- How to serve audiences in new and innovative ways
- How to lead your staff through ethical conversations to include balancing revenue ideas and editorial independence
- Insight about what it takes for people to adapt to change
- How to handle the demands of change as a leader
- Why organizational change often fails and how to maximize your chances of succeeding
- Practical advice based on research and examples from media organizations
Revenue and growth
- Case studies and research into growing revenue online from advertisers
- Best practices for creative partnerships
- Insights into digital subscriptions
- How to be a good coach and builder of talent
- How to manage conflict through effective collaboration
- How to approach difficult conversations
- Practical advice on words to avoid and methods to help deliver the message fairly
- How to use your time effectively
This two-day workshop will take place in New York, New York (location TBD).
This program is supported by The Google News Initiative and free for accepted applicants. Participants are responsible for travel and hotel costs. Some travel scholarships may be available.
Who should apply
This workshop is intended to grow the leadership capacity of the next generation of magazine leaders who are members of the MPA. Senior vice presidents, vice presidents, directors or high propensity managers on a leadership/succession track will benefit.
This is a small, exclusive workshop for aspiring leaders within the MPA. Only 16 applicants will be accepted into the program.
The process to apply is straightforward and simple. Please be prepared to answer questions about your professional experience, areas of interests and basic demographic information.
Thanks to our teaching partner
MPA – The Association of Magazine Media