3 guidelines for writing breaking-news leads
In an age in which technology gives us the ability to publish anytime, anywhere, on any platform, it can be tricky to choose the best lead--especially when the news is breaking.
Here are some guidelines to make sure your story is the one your audience chooses.
- Did the story just happen?
- Are you the first to report it, or will most of your audience already know about it?
- Is the time element crucial?
- Will your audience get the news from you first?
- If they already know the news, would they be better served with a lead that anticipates their knowledge?
- Are you the only news organization that has the story? Scoops once counted for more when several newspapers published in a city. Now the competition is from TV, online, social--you name it. If there is a story that only you have, you might want to tell readers it is an exclusive.
Have you missed a Coffee Break Course? Here's our complete lineup.