Fundamentals of Editing
Editors must go beyond mechanics — style, grammar and usage — and think about the big picture as they edit a story. Ask yourself these questions as you read each article (and make sure there is a clear answer for each question):
- Why is this story being published?
- What is the point of this story or project?
- Does the structure make sense?
- Does it have a clear beginning, middle and end?
- Is the premise of the piece supported?
- Do all parts of a package — headline, photos, graphics — work together?