Jill Abramson on the NYT as local vs. international paper: 'We can have it all'
Monday at 11 a.m. CDT (12 p.m. EDT) at South by Southwest Interactive, New York Times Executive Editor Jill Abramson discussed her vision for the future of the Times with Texas Tribune Editor-in-Chief and CEO Evan Smith.
My live blog of the event is below. Among the notable points:
- Abramson said some people on the political team wanted a policy against tweeting news before the site had a URL to link to. That didn't happen.
- Expect more linking from nytimes.com to other quality sources.
- She sees the rise of individual journalistic brands as beneficial for both the institution and the reporters, who can say they work for the Times.
- She's proud of being the first female executive editor but says it's impossible to say how it informs her work.
- She doesn't have to choose between having a strong local and an international presence.
You can see additional comments on Twitter by using the hashtag #FutureNYT.