The National Magazine Awards were last night. Here's what you need to know
The annual awards ceremony recognizing the best work in American magazines was held last night in New York. Here's a digest of the most important stuff:
The big winners:
- Vogue was named magazine of the year.
- The New Yorker won three awards: general excellence, essays and criticism and fiction.
- New York won for design, magazine section and columns and commentary
There were a lot of first-time winners:
- The Atavist, feature writing
- The Hollywood Reporter, general excellence
- Nautilus, general excellence and website
- Pacific Standard, public interest
- The Texas Observer, multimedia
- Vice News, video
Other random tidbits:
- The Atavist is the first digital-only magazine to win for feature writing.
- They're called "the Ellies" because each winner gets an elephant trophy, not because of Elle magazine.
- ABC "World News Tonight" anchor David Muir, who hosted the awards, joked that Men's Health is "the magazine that makes me feel bad about myself," Politico's Mike Allen reports.
- If you want to read some of the award-winning work, The Huffington Post's Catherine Taibi has compiled a list of the winners here.