First Amendment for the High School Journalist
- Hours of Effort
- 3 to 4 hours
About This Course
Do you know what rights you, as a high school journalist, are guaranteed by the First Amendment? Would you be able to tell whether a school administrator is illegally censoring you? How do blogs and social networking sites such as Facebook fit into the First Amendment?
This course is designed to help you gain a better understanding of your rights under the First Amendment and the laws that the Supreme Court has passed about freedom of speech and freedom of the press in high schools. When you've completed the course, you will be able to identify situations that could be violating your rights and know where to go for help.
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Know what rights you, as a high school journalist, are guaranteed by the First Amendment
- Know how blogs and social networking sites such as Facebook fit into the First Amendment
- Identify situations that could be violating your rights and know where to go for help
Who should take this course
High school journalists, high school journalism teachers, high school students and anyone who wants to understand what rights are guaranteed by the First Amendment and how they apply to scholastic journalism.
Warren Watson is executive director of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers. Watson is a veteran newspaper editor, the former vice president and acting co-president of the American Press Institute and, most recently, the director of J-Ideas, at Ball State University.
J-Ideas is the scholastic journalism and First Amendment institute at Ball State University.
J-Ideas would like to thank the following individuals for contributing content:
- Susie Coleman
- Mark Newton
- Steve O'Donoghue
- Rod Satterthwaite
- Diana Hadley
- Cheryl Pell
Editor's note: The credits for instructors and partners in this course was accurate as of the course launch in March 2008.
This $30 course is free thanks to the generous support of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
- Senior Producer/Programmer: Leslie Passante
- Assistant Producer/Programmers: Casey Frechette, Vanessa Goodrum, Jennifer Dronkers
- Graphic Design: Nuria Peña
- Copy Editor: Vicki Krueger
- Executive Producer: Howard Finberg