A Guide to Difficult Conversations
- Hours of Effort
About This Course
This webinar is designed to take the fear out of difficult conversations. Most managers put them off, partly out of a distaste for confrontation, and partly because they lack a plan for success.
But putting those conversations off almost never leads to a resolution; in fact, things usually get worse. You’ll complete this webinar with tools for approaching tough conversations strategically, and carrying them out with confidence.
What Will I Learn?
- How to prepare for a tough talk
- How to determine an achievable goal
- How to marry your approach to the seriousness of the issue
- How to anticipate and deal with emotion and aggressive responses
- How to collaborate with your boss and HR to guarantee a consistent message
- How to deal with your own ‘hot buttons’
Who Should Take This Course?
Any manager whose job requires working with a staff and its job performance.
Butch Ward is senior faculty and former managing director at The Poynter Institute, where he teaches leadership, editing, reporting and writing. During his 27-year career as a journalist at The Philadelphia Inquirer and Baltimore News-American, Butch held a variety of newsroom positions, including managing editor at both newspapers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What web browser should I use?
The Open edX platform works best with current versions of Chrome, Firefox or Safari, or with Internet Explorer version 9 and above.
See our list of supported browsers for the most up-to-date information.