How to Power Your Reporting With Social Media
- Webinar broadcast on
- Hours of Effort
About This Course
A flood of news, gossip, ideas and more comes at journalists constantly--especially through social media. How do you find story ideas, cultivate sources, build your brand and develop your audience? How do you make sense of this 24/7 news cycle, no matter what beat you cover?
Poynter's Ben Mullin will show you how to be as confident working a beat from your laptop as you are walking in your community.
What Will I Learn:
- How to build a custom news feed that keeps you abreast of the most important trends
- How to harness automation to turn the Internet into a tip line
- How to be a Twitter power user who can spot and report trending stories as they break
- How to cultivate audiences on Twitter and Facebook who will share your work and pass along story ideas
- How to eavesdrop on social media chatter to find stories before they become public
Who Should Take this Course:
Any journalist who wants to make their journalism urgent and relevant--beat reporters, line editors, television producers, radio broadcasters, bloggers and audience development managers and every journalist.
Benjamin Mullin is the managing editor at Poynter.org. In that capacity, he sets the direction of one of the best-read media blogs in the United States in addition to his work as a reporter, editor and audience development manager. He started at Poynter as a Google Journalism fellow in 2014; before that, he was a contributor to USA TODAY college, the editor in chief of his college newspaper and an intern at a variety of newspapers throughout Northern California.