September 6, 2011

Although the staff of The Wall Street Journal went to extraordinary lengths to cover the attack on the World Trade Center and produce a newspaper after its building had been evacuated, few of those newspapers made it into Manhattan the next day. A delivery truck carrying 60,000 copies was stopped in a roadblock at the George Washington Bridge.

Roy Harris Jr. received his copy at his home near Boston, however, and took it to New York on a previously scheduled trip. He describes the reaction in Manhattan:

Early on Sept. 12, with my home-delivered Wall Street Journal sitting on the passenger seat, I drove south to New York from Hingham, Mass., to meet my stepson Jesse. A native New Yorker studying at the University of Chicago, he was at the end of a summer break spent in Midtown, where his bedroom had a southern view of the twin towers — and their heartbreaking destruction the day before.

Around noon I arrived in New York, in time to join the first wave of cars crossing the reopened Triborough Bridge. Heading south along FDR Drive, I tried to keep my gaze off the sickening brown cloud at the tip of the island.

As I walked the four blocks to Jesse’s apartment, the paper under my arm, a dozen people approached me with versions of the same two-part question: “Where did you get your Wall Street Journal? May I have a look?”

And after a glance at the front page, several added a third part: “How did they ever manage to get a paper out?”

In his story, Harris describes how strong leadership and a couple of key decisions resulted in the Pulitzer-winning edition on Sept. 12, 2001.

Support high-integrity, independent journalism that serves democracy. Make a gift to Poynter today. The Poynter Institute is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, and your gift helps us make good journalism better.
Steve Myers was the managing editor of until August 2012, when he became the deputy managing editor and senior staff writer for The Lens,…
More by Steve Myers

More News

Back to News