Judge dismisses parts of rocker’s lawsuit against Boston Herald

September 15, 2011
Category: Uncategorized

Boston Globe | Boston Herald | Scribd.com

A judge has dismissed parts of Tom Scholz’s defamation lawsuit against the Boston Herald, ruling that the founder of the rock band Boston failed to show that the paper published malicious articles about the civil action that he brought against the Herald last year. Scholz claimed he was defamed by Herald “Inside Track” columnists Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa, who reported in 2007 that Boston lead singer Brad Delp, who committed suicide in 2007, was “driven by despair” by Scholz and the band’s “ugly breakup.” (Read the filing.) A judge has dismissed Scholz’s claims against the Herald over 2010 articles reporting on the rocker’s lawsuit against the paper — stories he said caused him emotional distress.

Scholz’s lawyer said Wednesday night:

Judge Cratsley previously held that Tom Scholz may pursue his principal claims against the Herald for the paper’s wrongful and devastating articles in 2007 about the cause of Brad Delp’s suicide. Today’s decision does not disturb that finding, and Mr. Scholz will continue vigorously to pursue those claims.

> September 2010: Judge says suit against Boston Herald can go forward