Si Newhouse’s net worth is $8.1 billion and his brother Donald is worth $7.3 billion, Forbes estimates in its new list of world billionaires. Both mens’ wallets have thickened, at least by Forbes’ count, since September, when it said they were worth $7.4 billion and $6.6 billion, respectively. The Newhouses owns Advance Publications, which recently laid off more than a thousand journalists and reduced print publication schedules to three days a week at several of its newspapers.
Other media fat cats, according to the list:
- Warren Buffett (No. 4, $53.5 billion)
- Thomson Reuters chair David Thomson (No. 24, $20.3 billion)
- Rupert Murdoch (No. 91, $11.2 billion)
- Mike Bloomberg (No. 13, $27 billion)
- Mort Zuckerman (No. 613, $2.4 billion)