The Cornell Daily Sun is the best college newspaper in the U.S., Princeton Review’s annual survey says. That’s “a startlingly dramatic rise for the Cornell University student pub,” Dan Reimold writes in College Media Matters. Last year’s champion, the Daily Collegian of Penn State, dropped to fifth place.
The Top 10:
1) The Cornell Daily Sun
2) The Yale Daily News
3) The Daily Tar Heel (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
4) The Badger Herald and The Daily Cardinal (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
5) The Daily Collegian (Penn State)
6) The University Daily Kansan (University of Kansas)
7) The Daily Orange (Syracuse University)
8) The Independent Florida Alligator (University of Florida)
9) The Daily Nexus (University of California, Santa Barbara)
10) The Daily Gamecock (University of South Carolina)
Brown University’s Daily Herald fell off the list altogether, Reimold notes, and “is joined by six other papers ranked last year and now notably missing from the top-20 rundown,” including the Diamondback and the Red & Black — independent student newspapers at the University of Maryland and the University of Georgia, respectively.