In case you missed it, Business Insider CEO Henry Blodget and its BI Intelligence research service distilled a slew of digital trends for its Ignition event earlier this month, trends that news organizations might ponder and act on.
In a slide deck posted Nov. 12, the news site identified these major movements in the marketplace:
• PC Internet access has waned and mobile has ascended.
• Mobile-only is not the best strategy. Rather plan for multiscreens and multiple devices. “Screen fragmentatiom is creating big challenges and opportunities,” Business Insider noted.
• Sixty percent of all mobile devices run Android, which Business Insider declared the winner in the operating platform war with Apple.
• “Attention is monetizable” and “eyeballs are moving to digital, especially mobile.” Digital accounts for 25 percent of total ad spending in the United States.
• Google exceeds newspapers and magazines in ad revenue.
Readers will need to subscribe to Business Insider to see the details of this research and to download charts and Excel datasets, although a free trial is offered.