Here are some quick tips and best practices for coverage of disasters such as the building explosion in Harlem Wednesday:
• 5 tips for covering disaster preparedness Dig for context and other advice when covering the unexpected.
• Boston explosions a reminder of how breaking news is changing Don’t make assumptions and other advice on avoiding mistakes when the adrenaline is pumping.
• Best practices: images of disaster and how they were captured “Readers want to know what it looks like and what it feels like,” and other insights from photo editors and directors.
• Why fake photos are as appealing as real ones in a disaster A reminder that bogus images can fool anyone.
• How journalists can avoid getting fooled by fake Hurricane Sandy photos Lessons from Sandy on verifying before tweeting or publishing.
• How journalists verify user-generated content, information on social media First rule: contact the person who posted the photo, video or information.