Newsweek takes down story claiming Richard Glossip is executed

September 30, 2015
Category: Uncategorized
Screenshot via Newsweek

Screenshot via Newsweek

Newsweek

Oklahoma death row inmate Richard Glossip is still alive, despite a premature report to the contrary.

On Wednesday evening, Newsweek published a story headlined: “On Third Attempt, Oklahoma Executes Richard Glossip” that said the 52-year-old prisoner had been killed by lethal injection. The bulk of the story contained details that had been reported earlier that day: Glossip’s last meal, his appeal history and a rejected Supreme Court plea to spare his life.

Newsweek quickly followed up with a new story acknowledging the error with a correction appended. The original story redirects to a 404 page.

“Due to an editing error, we inadvertently published that Glossip had been executed,” Grant Burningham, homepage editor at Newsweek, said in an email. “It was up for a few minutes but long enough to be made public. We’ve updated the story and added a correction, acknowledging our error.”

Earlier this evening, Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin issued a last-minute stay of execution in Glossip’s case to determine whether the drug being used to put him to death fits with execution protocol. Fallin’s order represents the third time Glossip’s execution has been put off.

(h/t Dan Froomkin)