Some early signs of the holidays are agreeably awful, but a favorite, at least here at Poynter, is the Associated Press’ annual holiday style chat. (“It’s waxed paper, not wax paper.”)
Here are some tips from today’s Twitter chat:
- Capitalize the holiday itself, “Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day,” lowercase the weekend or season.
- Feliz Navidad also gets capitalized.
- “Have a merry Christmas” but also “Merry Christmas!”
- And it’s “happy holidays” and “happy new year.”
- The candle holder used at Hanukkah is a menorah.
- Do not use Xmas.
- Christmastime is a real word.
- That tree can be lit or lighted.
- Unless it comes from the Champagne region in France, it’s just sparkling wine.