The Poynter ACES Certificate in Editing gives you a solid understanding of the standards, essential skills and best practices of editing.
This package includes the following six courses:
- Fundamentals of Editing, with Andy Bechtel, Sue Burzynski Bullard and Lisa McLendon. Gain a solid grounding in the process of editing and the range of skills that provide clarity and accuracy to any form of writing.
- The Art and Science of Editing, with Merrill Perlman. You will learn to identify when you need to edit something, when you don’t and how to explain your changes to others.
- Clarity is Key: Making Writing Clean and Concise, with Lisa McLendon. Learn to clarify and streamline your writing by using straightforward words and stronger nouns and verbs.
- Getting It Right: Accuracy and Verification in the Digital Age, with Craig Silverman. Acquire the knowledge and tools to become a more accurate journalist in the digital age.
- Writing Online Headlines: SEO and Beyond, with Eric Ulken. Write headlines that work everywhere online, from search results to article pages to RSS feeds to mobile apps.
- Language Primer: Basics of Grammar, Punctuation and Word Use, with Roy Peter Clark, Merrill Perlman and Pam Hogle. Practice the fundamentals of grammar and composition so you can write and edit with greater confidence.
Please note: Enrolling in the courses separately will not count toward the certificate. You must enroll in this package and successfully complete all six courses to receive your certificate.
This is one of two certificates in editing from and the ACES: The Society for Editing. The other, for more experienced editors, is the Poynter ACES Accurate, Audience-Focused Editing Certificate. It assumes knowledge of and experience in basic copy editing. Both programs bring together the industry leaders in professional editing with the global leader in journalism training to standardize the practice of editing in a formal program.