This Language Primer Course Pack is for students enrolled at Iowa State University.
The Language Primer focuses on the fundamentals, giving you unlimited access to essays, practice drills and feedback. When you’re ready, take the “final assessment” for each section to see how much you’ve learned.
The Language Primer focuses on the fundamentals, giving you unlimited access to essays, practice drills and feedback. You will need to complete the Language Primer: Basics of Grammar, Punctuation and Word Use course, and the corresponding assessment. You can take the assessment only at designated times in Hamilton Hall and must score at least 78 percent correct to pass the assessment.
What Will I Learn:
This course covers the rules and principles of grammar, punctuation and word use in the English language. It specifically addresses the following topics:
- Dangling and misplaced modifiers
- The case of personal pronouns such as “I” and “me”
- Sentence structure concepts, including active and passive voice, sentence fragments and subject-verb agreement
- Apostrophe usage with contractions, possessive pronouns and plural words
- Comma usage
- Essential and non-essential clauses
- General word usage and common spelling mistakes
- Special focus on “to/too/two” and “they’re/their/there”
Who should take this course:
This course is for anyone who struggles with the basics of English grammar, word usage and punctuation. It also can be used as a review of the fundamentals or to diagnose and correct specific problems.
Iowa State University is a public, land-grant university, where students get a great academic start in learning communities and stay active in 800-plus student organizations, undergrad research, internships and study abroad. They learn from world-class scholars who are tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges — feeding the hungry, finding alternative fuels and advancing manufacturing.