Section Instructor: Douglas Kennedy
This Language Primer Course Pack is for students enrolled in JOUR 150 DB (Fall 2019) at Point Park University.
The “Language Primer” focuses on the fundamentals, giving you unlimited access to essays, practice drills and feedback. When you’re ready, take the “final exams” for each section to see how much you’ve learned.
What Will I Learn:
This course covers the rules and principles of grammar, punctuation and word use in the English language. It specifically addresses the following topics:
- Dangling and misplaced modifiers
- The case of personal pronouns such as “I” and “me”
- Sentence structure concepts, including active and passive voice, sentence fragments and subject-verb agreement
- Apostrophe usage with contractions, possessive pronouns and plural words
- Comma usage
- Essential and non-essential clauses
- General word usage and common spelling mistakes
- Special focus on “to/too/two” and “they’re/their/there”
Who should take this course:
This course is for anyone who struggles with the basics of English grammar, word usage and punctuation. It also can be used as a review of the fundamentals or to diagnose and correct specific problems.
Point Park University offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and is divided into four schools: School of Arts & Sciences, School of Business, School of Communication and Conservatory of Performing Arts.