This Language Primer Course Pack is for incoming transfer students at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg.
Do you or your students struggle with the basics of composition and writing? The “Language Primer” focuses on the fundamentals, giving you unlimited access to essays, practice drills and feedback. When you’re ready, take the “final exams” for each section to see how much you’ve learned.
Whether you’re stumped by the difference between active and passive voice, unsure about which spelling of “they’re” or “there” to use or need a refresher on dangling modifiers, this course will help you write with greater confidence.
The Language Primer was specially designed to be an assessment for students in college-degree programs across the country.
What Will I Learn:
This course covers the rules and principles of grammar, punctuation and word use in the English language. It specifically addresses the following topics:
- Dangling and misplaced modifiers
- The case of personal pronouns such as “I” and “me”
- Sentence structure concepts, including active and passive voice, sentence fragments and subject-verb agreement
- Apostrophe usage with contractions, possessive pronouns and plural words
- Comma usage
- Essential and non-essential clauses
- General word usage and common spelling mistakes
- Special focus on “to/too/two” and “they’re/their/there”
Who should take this course:
This course is for anyone who struggles with the basics of English grammar, word usage and punctuation. It also can be used as a review of the fundamentals or to diagnose and correct specific problems.