Power Up: Leadership in Tough Times leverages the full might of Poynter’s industry connections, decades of leadership training experience and pioneering e-learning platform to offer you the crisis management training you need right now. Over six weeks, we will provide you a supportive online learning community, virtual one-on-one coaching and concrete leadership tips as you navigate the pandemic that persists into 2021.
Each Tuesday, you’ll tune in for two consecutive hours of live instruction focused on themes specific to leadership during a crisis:
- Leadership behaviors you need now
- Communicating effectively in stressful times
- Responding to conflict
- Performance management (including coaching and giving feedback)
- Communicating about diversity and inclusion with your audience and colleagues
- Managing yourself (including self-care)
In each session, you will participate in an interactive and practical presentation with esteemed Poynter faculty, Cheryl Carpenter and Butch Ward. Then you’ll have a conversation with an industry leader who goes deeper on the themes. Through a moderated Q&A, you’ll get to talk to top media executives.
In addition to the 12 hours of live instruction, you will receive a private, 45-minute coaching session with one of Poynter’s experienced coaches.
Poynter’s background in leadership training
The Poynter Institute has been training journalists in ethics and leadership for more than 40 years.
We’re known for our trademark leadership academies, weeklong seminars that emphasize introspection, strategies for managing people and network-building. In the last several years, Poynter designed academies for different stages of leadership and identities — new managers, women and people of color — to focus on challenges specific to those groups and advance newsroom diversity. These became some of Poynter’s most popular and competitive programs, offered multiple times per year and attracting innovative partners. Our leadership portfolio also includes the Local News Innovation Program, the Media Innovation Tour and custom leadership training in newsrooms.
Our long-term commitment to this work was formalized in 2019 under the Craig Newmark Center for Ethics and Leadership at Poynter. Over the last year, we piloted new programs including:
- Executive development programs for publishers through partnerships with SNPA and MPA
- Custom leadership workshops in newsrooms including The Washington Post and Marketplace
- An anti-harassment training program for managers in partnership with Press Forward
- Custom diversity, equity and inclusion training for newsrooms, including the International Women’s Media Foundation
- Custom trauma and resilience training for newsrooms
Cheryl Carpenter has served as Poynter’s leadership faculty since 2018, spearheading many of these initiatives. Butch Ward, the former leadership faculty at Poynter, continues to co-lead Poynter’s core leadership development programs.
The great majority of our leadership training has occurred in-person; this new virtual leadership series is an innovative way that we will connect with and coach newsroom leaders through this unprecedented time.
We’d love to hear from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.