You’ll have the chance to see firsthand how the kinds of questions you pose can stop or start an effective interview. During this interview, you’ll witness the power of listening and how to deal with a source who spills the beans and then says it’s all “off the record.”
What will I learn
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare quickly for an effective interview.
- Recognize the difference between green light and red light questions that can keep an interview moving along or stall it in its tracks.
- Learn the power of listening and avoid the pitfalls of “off the record.”
Who should take this course
Anyone interested in improving their interviewing skills.
Chip Scanlan is an affiliate faculty member of The Poynter Institute. From 1994 until 2009, when he retired as senior faculty for writing, he directed Poynter’s writing programs, co-directed the summer fellowship in reporting and writing for college graduates, and taught and led multimedia seminars. He has coached journalists around America, Europe and Asia. His three self-directed News University courses, The Lead Lab, The Interview and Get Me Rewrite: The Craft of Revision regularly rank among NewsU’s top courses.
- Instructor: Chip Scanlan
- Course concept: Vanya Tsvetkova
- Video editor and interactive producer: Vanya Tsvetkova
- Videographers: Sara O’Brien and Vanya Tsvetkova