This course will teach an approach for untangling convoluted copy. We’ll also discuss common problems in rough copy and how to fix them.
WHAT WILL I LEARN:
You’ll learn a five-step method for fixing funky copy:
- Decide whether the piece needs key tweaks or a complete rewrite
- Discover the meaning hidden in the piece
- Conduct independent research and author interviews to flesh out the meaning
- Use mindmapping to determine how the piece should be organized
- Rework the piece using the “highlighter method”
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE:
Editors who struggle with cleaning up convoluted copy, whether in print or online will find help here. This course is for anyone who wants to help create clear, well-organized content.
Samantha Enslen runs Dragonfly Editorial. She has more than 20 years of experience editing marketing material of all sorts, and she’s edited for ad agencies, web developers, universities, corporate communications departments, and more. Sam is on the executive board of the American Copy Editors Society, and she is the managing editor of ACES’ quarterly journal, Tracking Changes.