This webinar presents Tableau Public, a free and powerful data visualization tool that you can use create, publish and share your interactive data visualizations
This webinar starts with a tour of the Tableau interface, connect to an example data set, create a few visualizations and then pull those visualizations together to make a dashboard.
Please complete these tasks before the workshop
- Install Tableau Public – download here and install
- Create a Tableau Public account — Click “sign in” and follow the link to create a new account here.
This workshop is structured so that no prior knowledge of Tableau is necessary.
This training event is part of a series on digital tools in partnership with the American Press Institute and The Poynter Institute, funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
WHAT WILL I LEARN
- An overview of the Tableau Interface
- How to connect to data
- How to build visualizations and dashboards from that data
- How to publish visualizations and dashboards to Tableau Public
- Resources, including blogs, user groups, community and more
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE:
Journalists interested in expanding their investigative capabilities and autonomy in creating visualizations for data-driven articles.
PHX -> SEA -> NYC. Never one to sit still, Cynthia Andrews embodies the frenetic vibration of the city in which she lives. The road to her current role as a Data Artist at Tableau was anything but linear. Her eclectic background includes a bachelor’s in art history, a master’s in communication in digital media, a stint in journalism as a data visualization developer at NBC, to name a few. In addition to passionately evangelizing visualizing data, she’s also pursuing a [second] master’s degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Oh, and trying to eat her way through the five boroughs.