The International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) will match up to $85,000 in contributions made to crowdfunding campaigns for fact-checking initiatives around the world.
Fact-checkers seek to help the public distinguish fact from fiction in an increasingly noisy information landscape. For this reason, they have often benefited from their public’s support through crowdfunding. These campaigns have assisted fact-checkers in Argentina, Brazil, Italy, the United Kingdom, the United States and beyond.
Crowdfunding is not just a way to pay the bills: It is an indication that a community values this type of journalism. The IFCN will match up to $15,000 per individual crowdfunding campaign for a fact-checking initiative. The match can be used on any campaign conducted by a fact-checking project in supports of its core mission.
$85,000 in total, spread across the following time periods:
- $10,000 in Sept.-Dec. 2017
- $30,000 in Jan.-Dec. 2018
- $30,000 in Jan.-Dec. 2019
- $15,000 in Jan.-Jun. 2020
- Applicants must hail from a fact-checking organization that is a signatory of the IFCN code of principles or commit to complying with the code’s application and verification process by the end of the campaign.
- The applicants must be conducting a public online crowdfunding campaign.
- The match is conditional on the crowdfunding campaign being supported by at least 150 individual donors. Campaigns with 300 donors or more will be strongly preferred.
- The IFCN will review applications that meet the above requirements and award the match according to the need for the funds and the potential impact of the project, with an eye to ensuring geographic balance among recipients of the match.
- The IFCN will match up to $15,000 per individual campaign. Repeat applicants in subsequent years will be considered on a case-to-case basis.
- Crowdfunding campaigns run by organizations with legal or financial ties to The Poynter Institute or its staff are not eligible.
HOW TO APPLY AND BENEFIT FROM THE FUNDING
- Submit your application at least three weeks before the closing date of your crowdfunding campaign through this form. (We receive applications on a rolling basis.)
- The IFCN will evaluate applications within two weeks. Due to the large amount of applications we expect to receive, we will only follow up with finalists. If you do not hear back within two weeks from your application, it is not being considered.
- We will only match until we exhaust the total yearly amount available — so apply early.
For any questions about how the Crowdfunding Match Program works and whether your project could qualify, email firstname.lastname@example.org.